(Newswire.net — May 9, 2016) — Anyone who suffers from heartburn – whether it’s chronic, triggered by certain foods, or comes at nighttime – knows just how painful and aggravating the symptoms can be. While there are plenty of strategies for preventing and relieving heartburn, only a few are natural and healthy.
4 Ways to Prevent and Eliminate Heartburn
Heartburn is uncomfortable and common for millions of people around the world. While every individual’s body reacts differently to remedies, the following tips and techniques have helped many people prevent and get rid of pesky heartburn.
1. Adopt the Right Sleeping Habits
How you sleep at night has a direct impact on the frequency and severity of your heartburn symptoms. In particular, there are two things you can do to improve your condition:
- Sleep on your left side. Doctors commonly tell their patients to sleep on their left side. The reason why isn’t entirely clear, but there are a couple of theories. One is that right-side sleeping relaxes the esophageal sphincter between the stomach and esophagus. The other is that left-side sleeping keeps this junction above the level of the gastric acid. Have trouble remembering which side to sleep on? Remember the phrase “right is wrong.”
- Sleep with your upper body elevated. When you lay flat in your bed, your stomach and throat are essentially at the same level. This makes it much easier for acids to flow up the esophagus and cause heartburn. By elevating your upper body, you can avoid unnecessary transfer of stomach acids.
These two simple tips can help you become much more comfortable. Not only should you follow these tips when you’re suffering from heartburn, but they can also be used to prevent heartburn from creeping up.
2. Drink Homemade Ginger Tea
In places such as Uganda, ginger is known as the “universal remedy.” Among the many benefits of ginger is the ability to speed up the digestive process, prevent gas build up, and regulate bile and gastric juices in the digestive system. By adding some ginger to tea, you can reduce the back-flow of stomach acid and eliminate symptoms of heartburn.
Dr. Al Sears is a firm believer in the power of ginger for healing heartburn and suggests the following recipe:
- Start by removing the skin from a fresh piece of ginger root and then chop it up into tiny pieces or slices.
- Fill a pot with two cups of water and boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the ginger and cover for roughly 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot, fill your cup, and add some cinnamon for extra flavor.
This simple recipe has been shown to relieve heartburn and reduce other digestive issues that cause discomfort and pain.
3. Lose Weight
Quite frankly, one of the best things you can do to prevent heartburn is lose weight. Heartburn generally gets worse as you gain excess weight, and losing as little as two or three pounds can reduce your heartburn symptoms rather significantly.
4. Chew Gum
Here’s an extremely easy and convenient technique: chew gum. A small study from the Journal of Dental Research shows that people suffering from GERD symptoms experience heartburn relief when chewing sugar-free gum for 30 minutes after a meal. This stimulates the salivary flow rate and washes away acid that accumulates in the gut.
Don’t Let Heartburn Run Your Life
If you aren’t careful, heartburn will slowly begin to dictate your life. Instead of sitting back and waiting for heartburn to set in, take proactive steps to prevent it.
With these natural strategies and tips, you can enjoy a life that’s free from heartbreaking heartburn.